More about me
I have always had a passion for the natural world and from a young age I would spend my days after school out watching wildlife, and drawing or painting what discoveries I had encountered that day. I saw my first Roe deer in the dappled forest and Dippers in the surging rivers as I watched I always noted their specific behaviour, taking notes and making sketches.
Walking to college along the river one morning I saw my first Kingfisher sitting on a branch, this inspired me to buy my very first SLR camera. I went back to the same place on the river every morning after sunrise and with patience and perseverance got my first wildlife photo! Today I am lucky enough to be living and working in the Scottish Highlands on the magical Isle of Skye working as a professional photographer and cameraman.
Living on the wild west coast of Scotland has tested all my photographic and wildlife skills, the ever changing weather and the vast wild landscapes inspire me every day.
Each day is different, one day the sky may be a wondrous colour and the water mirror still the next. I may be battling hail and snow storms but there is always something to encounter.
An otter is easy to spot in calm water but amazing to see battling stormy seas with a butterfish in his jaws. Identifying and viewing majestic Eagles both Golden and White tailed are a daily part of a day out with the camera while making sure the birds are not disturbed in their natural environment. As a photographer my top priority is the wild animal’s welfare.
Getting close enough to animals can be a challenge but with years of field craft experience and patience I am able make the perfect image that I had have in my mind’s eye become a reality. I have a passion for creating new images of iconic Scottish wildlife while tracking, watching them and identifying their specific behaviours and personalities.
My work record includes:
- Camera assistant filming Kingfishers for BBC Natural History Unit Bristol
- Field Volunteer with Barn Owl Trust in South West of England
- Educational field talks about wildlife to primary schools
- Assistant Warden at Eilean Ban island / Skye bridge
- Magazine covers –
- Skye Magazine
- Devon Life
- BBC Wildlife magazine
- RSPB- Devon Barn Owl Trust-
- Photographic Stills BBC Natural History Films- Pine marten
- Wildlife consultant – Wild Art BBC Programming
- Skye Resident photographer Pace Productions
- Mountain Hare Film Sequences Pace Productions
- Angus Moorland Group Ecology Film sequences Pace productions
- Sleat Camera Club- Guest Speaker -wildlife photography